After you’ve helped your client buy or sell a home, you’ll want to show them just how much you appreciate their business with the perfect closing gift. The right gift will not only show them that you care but will also yield referrals and make your clients sing your praises.
How Much Should You Spend on a Closing Gift?
The amount of money you spend on a closing gift is first determined by your market. A good rule of thumb is to spend between 1-5% of your gross commission. Ultimately, the cost of the gift isn’t as important as how meaningful the gift is, so take some time to get to know your clients and find out what kinds of things they like.
The Best Closing Gifts
- A gift box for their pet – Most people have at least one pet these days. Send your client’s furry friend a gift box from Swaggy Shag or BarkBox.
- A robotic vacuum – You wouldn’t give a regular vacuum as a gift, but a robotic vacuum is cool! The Deebot vacuum syncs with Alexa, charges itself and has an app. Or you can opt for the more expensive iRobot Roomba.
- A gift from Tiffany & Co. – A gift from Tiffany’s will be a treat for your high-end clients. Consider a key chain for their new house keys.
- A consultation with a landscape designer – A well-designed yard can really make a difference in the look of a home, so why not help your client get started with a one-hour consultation with a local landscaper.
- An evening out – Gifting your client an experience over an object is a great idea, but it can become more of a burden if they have to schedule a sitter and pay for an Uber (if they want to drink while they’re out). Make it easy on them by planning everything. Arrange for a sitter and schedule an Uber XL to go with their restaurant gift card.
- A membership to a local museum or gym – If you want to gift your client an experience and you know what kinds of things they enjoy, gift them a membership to a local museum or a gym if they are fitness minded.
- A gift certificate to a local nursery – Instead of picking out a plant that your client may or may not like, give them a gift certificate instead so you know they will get something they like. While you’re at it, form a relationship with the store owner and make gifting a partnership.
- A cooking class – If your client is a foodie, or even if they’re not, a cooking class is the perfect gift. If your market is near a major city, you can find classes for all experience levels. There are even online classes with well-known chefs your client can take from the comfort of their home.
- A local experience – If your client is adventurous, consider gifting them a fun local experience like skydiving lessons or horseback-riding lessons.
- A gift card to a local coffee shop – A gift card to a well-known local coffee shop is an excellent way to make your client feel at home in their new neighborhood. If you have a relationship with the shop owner, it will ensure your client gets a warm welcome.
- A consultation with an interior designer – This is the perfect closing gift because it’s something the client is not likely to do for themselves. A consultation with an interior designer will help them start to make their new house their own.
Do you still need ideas for closing gifts? We’d love to help! Reach out to us at 571-234-5589 or by email at [email protected]. For videos on lead generation, Facebook tips, handy realtor tools and more, be sure to check out our YouTube channel.